• What is the Student Visa Process?

    Step 1: Attend a counseling session
    Attend a counseling session at our Office to find out your options relating to study destination, courses available and recommended institutions.

    Step 2: Register with Cambridge
    Register with Cambridge to start the admission and visa process. We can help you navigate through the various processes and make studying overseas easier.

    Step 3: Apply for admission
    Once you have decided what and where you want to study, we will help you complete the application to the institutions of your choice. At the time of application for admission you will be required to submit several documents including proof of previous academic qualifications and in most cases proof of your English language ability. We will also provide you with a checklist for the documents you will need to provide when the time comes to apply for your visa (step 7).

    We take the hard work out of tracking the applications by keeping in contact with the institution on your behalf.

    Step 4: Undertake Medical Examination
    After submitting your application for admission, you will need to undertake a medical examination by one of the doctors approved by the Canadian Government. A list of the approved panel physician can be found by visiting: You will be provided with a receipt (IMM1017) for the medicals, which you will need to submit at the time of lodging you visa application. The medical report will automatically be sent to the visa office.

    Step 5: Organize Financials/Funds
    If applying under SPP, Provide evidence of purchase of a special Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from a participating Canadian financial institution [currently it is Scotia Bank& ICICI Bank], for the amount of $10,000 CAD towards the first year living expenses and evidence of payment for of first year’s tuition fee OR
    As an alternate option, students can meet the financial requirement by submitting a copy of the receipt for the first year’s tuition fee payment AND a copy of an educational Loan from an Indian Chartered Bank equivalent to $10,000 CAD.

    Step 6: Pay Tuition Fees
    To accept your offer from an education provider, you must pay the tuition fee. Most Australian institutions require you to pay the first semester fee only. You can choose to pay this fee through either Telegraphic Transfer (TT) or Direct Debit (DD). Our value added services department at Cambridge Educational Services can help you arrange either of these payment methods.
    Once the institutions have received and processed your tuition fee payment, they will issue you with receipt. This receipt will be needed to lodge your visa application.

    Step 7: Visa Lodgment
    In Canada, a student visa is known as a Study Permit. To lodge your visa application you will need to provide the documents outlined in the checklist we provided you in step 3.
    Just like your admission application, Cambridge will keep you updated as to the progress of your application and take the hard work out of tracking your application by keeping in contact with the visa office on your behalf.

    Step 8: Visa Outcome
    We will notify you as soon as we know the outcome of your visa application so you can come in and collect your grant letter. In most cases this is a positive response and it means you can also start planning your travel and accommodation for Canada!

    Step 9: Travel Services
    We at Cambridge can help you organize your travel arrangements to begin your new student life in Canada. Air ticketing, insurance and foreign exchange can all be arranged through us to make studying overseas easier!

  • What is SPP-Student Partners Program?

    The Canada in India Student Partners Program (SPP) is a joint pilot project between Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s visa offices in India and the Association of Canadian Community Colleges (ACCC). For more information, please visit:-

  • Where is the list of participating Institutes for SPP?

    Citizens of India who wish to participate in the Student Partners Program should contact one of the participating colleges. The current list of participating Canadian colleges can be found at:-

  • Do I need a study permit to study in Canada?

    Most students need a study permit to study in Canada, but there are some exceptions. To find out more, see the Related Links section at Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website:-

  • What are the Work rights during studies?

    There are two types of work rights that students may be eligible for while studying in Canada – On campus and Off Campus.

    Students can work on campus at the institution in which they are enrolled without work permit if they are full time student, holding a valid study permit, at an eligible institution. A student can apply for an off campus work permit if he/she has been a full-time student, with a valid study permit, at one of the institutions authorized by the Canadian government. In addition, the student must have been a full-time student for at least 6 of the 12 months prior to applying for the work permit and must have achieved satisfactory academic standing. For both on campus employment and the off campus work permit, students can work up to 20 hours per week during study sessions and full time during vacations.

  • What are the Post study work rights?

    • If your course duration is less than 2 years but more than 8 months, you will be eligible for work permit for a period no longer than the length of your program of study.
    • If your course duration is 2 years or more, you may be eligible for a work permit for up to 3 years.

  • What if I want to bring my dependents?

    The spouse and children of students, who wish to join the student in Canada for the duration of the study period, may be eligible for a temporary residence visa (under visitor, student or worker category).

  • What general questions do I have to prove to Canada?

    Accurate identification, Clean Medical Health, No Criminal violations, School acceptance and registration, Adequate financial resources for the period, proof you will and are able to return home.

  • Do I require Health Insurance while I am in Canada?

    Yes, International students are required by law to carry health insurance coverage. Though it is not possible to obtain an insurance policy from outside Canada, a plan should be secured within the first week of a student’s arrival. Each province administers its own public medical and health insurance plans, though some private and supplementary plans are also available. However, even if in instances where provincial coverage is available to international students at no cost, they must register with the health insurance authority in the province to ensure they are in fact covered. Your university/college should be able to advise you on this matter. Most major educational institutions have their own insurance plan for international students and will help you register and pay fees on arrival.

  • How safe is Canada?

    Canada is an extremely liberal and safe country with low crime rates, and has been judged one of the world’s best places to live.

    Despite this, students should always take precautions to make sure they stay safe. They should take care to:-
    • Avoid walking alone at night
    • Always carry a charged phone
    • Avoid potentially quiet/ dark shortcuts
    • Avoid carrying a lot of cash
    • Let friends know where they are going
    • Always keep a close eye on personal belongings whilst out
    • Never accept things from strangers – whether this is a lift home or a drink

    Most Canadian universities have support and safety networks set up especially for international students, where they can go for advice.

  • What can I do to speed up medical processing?

    Set up your appointments as far in advance as possible. You could provide the examining physician with a pre-paid courier envelope for submission to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). Some students will not require a medical. It depends on your places of residence over the year immediately prior to your application.

  • Can I visit my own doctor for my medical?

    No, Citizenship and Immigration Canada only accepts medical exam results from a Designated Medical Practitioners.

  • What can I do if my study permit has been refused?

    There is no appeal process, but you can apply again at a later time.

  • Do I need to prepay my tuition fees before arrival?

    No, unless your institution requires it. In fact, many institutions are not able to accept your fees until you arrive and register. However, you must show CIC officials that the funds are available and can be transferred to Canada. In exceptional circumstances, where there are local currency restrictions, which may hamper the timely transfer of funds, visa officers might request that proof of an offshore account in the student’s name or full payment of the tuition fees in advance.

  • How do I get my foreign credentials assessed?

    The web site of the Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials,, provides useful information and referrals for international students wishing to have their credentials assessed.

  • Is it mandatory to use the airport pick-up service offered by the schools?

    NO! The cost of a luxury limousine in Toronto and Vancouver is less than half the school fees. The airport services have licenses and insurance for public cartage. We recommend that students use licensed insured carriers. If you use public transportation the cost is even less.

  • Can I apply to the Government and obtain a VISA myself?

    YES! We recommend that students apply for visas themselves. This is a good learning experience.

  • What are the eligible criteria to study in Canada?

    You must have been accepted by a school, college, university or other educational institution in Canada. You must prove that you have enough money to pay for your:
    a. tuition fees
    b. living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada. You must be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada. You must be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary. You must satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada when you have completed your studies.

  • Will I need to have an interview?

    Once the immigration officer has reviewed your application, they decide if an interview is necessary. If so, the visa officer will provide details of the time and place.

  • What happens if I make a mistake on my application?

    If you make a mistake on your application, it may be delayed or returned to you unprocessed.

  • I am studying in Canada. If I want to change from a Bachelor’s to a Master’s Program do I need a new study permit? If I want to change to a different university, do I need a new permit?

    You do not need to apply for a new permit if you are moving from one university to another university regardless of change in level – unless your permit specifies the name of your institution. If you are changing from a college to a university or vice-versa, you will require a new study permit. If you are studying in Quebec you will need a new CAQ if you change levels or institutions.

  • How do I change from a visitor’s visa to a study permit while in Canada?

    To change your status from that of visitor to student, you need to submit an application for a study permit at a visa office abroad. You may have to leave Canada if you are called for an interview to determine your eligibility. This process can take four to six weeks.

  • Do I have to renew my study permit every year? How do I renew it?

    Generally, students will receive a study permit for the full period of their studies, e.g. three or four years. However, an immigration officer has the authority to issue a permit for a one-year period only. To renew your permit, you must submit an application to the Case Processing Centre in Alberta, Canada Priorto the expiry of your authorization. Forms are available at CIC Centers across Canada.

  • Am I allowed to return home for a visit or travel outside Canada during my studies?

    If you leave Canada and want to return, you must have:
    • a valid passport or travel documents
    • a valid study permit if you are returning to study in Canada and
    • a valid temporary resident visa if you are a citizen of a designated country for which Canada requires a visa.

  • Does Cambridge Educational Services guarantee the visa?

    The respective visa offices decide outcome of all visa applications. Cambridge Educational Services does not have any influence on the processing and the outcome of visa applications.